When it comes to the holidays, there are certain things I really look forward to doing year after year. The obvious ones are decorating our home, setting up our tree, waiting for our silly elves to arrive and seeing all they funny things they do and waiting for my children to awake and look for them, but there is something that brings me right back to being in the kitchen with my Mom when I was about 7-years-old – making a wide range of holiday sweet treats.
There are a few classics that have stood the test of time including my Grandma Jackson’s Spiced Pecans and a classic sugar cookie recipe my sister swears by, but each year I try out a new recipe or two and see if we can add to the mix of “regulars” that put a few extra pounds on my hips each year!!! 🙂
I wanted to share a few of my special recipes with you and this year, we are adding a few new surprises to the list including Chocolate-covered pretzels (SOOO excited about these) and Oreo Truffles. I mean, just the name is decadent!!!! The recipe calls for just a few basics – oreos, cream cheese and white chocolate for dipping. Was that your stomach that growled or mine?? 🙂 Enjoy a few of my favorite recipes below and let me know if there are any traditions you like to keep in your home during the holidays by sharing it on my Facebook page!
Grandma Jackson’s Spiced Pecans
2 egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 250.
2- In one bowl put the 2 egg whites and 1/2 cup water and use a whisk until it is frothy.
3. In another bowl, mix sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
4. Take the pecans and put in the water/egg mixture and mix them up until coated.
5. Then pour the sugar mixture onto the pecans and mix up until they are all coated.
6. Place in a single layer on cookie sheets and bake for 1 hr. Every 15 minutes stir them and move them around the cookie sheet as to not stick and for them to cook evenly.
Oreo Truffle Balls
1 container of oreos
1 box of 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 -2 bags white chocolate chips
1.Take oreos and crush them and put them in a standing mixer. Add the whole box of cream cheese
2. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl in microwave- 30 sec intervals until melted.
3. Take a spoonful of oreo mixture and make into a ball and then dip in white chocolate and place on wax paper .
4. Place in refigerator to harden and then enjoy
Chocolate Pretzel Rods
1 bag of pretzel rods
1 bag of white chocolate chips or semi sweet chips
sprinkles of all kinds
1. Melt chocolate in microwave in a bowl in 30 sec intervals until melted.
2. Take a spoon and poor chocolate on half of the pretzel rod and then use a knife to spread.
3. Over another bowl, take sprinkles and sprinkle on the chocolate part of the pretzel.
4. Place on wax paper and let them cool.
Find out more about how I am “Capturing Life’s Beautiful Moments” in my All Natural Light Studio and On Location as the Augusta GA Newborn Photographer and Augusta GA Family Photographer in the greater Augusta, GA area by visiting my website www.MaryBethsPhotography.com.
add a comment